
A few days ago I got a call from my folks. They talked briefly with Micah on the phone and I was telling him who was on the other end. I guess he needed to confirm that we were talking about the same people so he went to find his little picture book where I keep photos of all his family members. He came back and showed me the correct picture of Opapa and "Granny". But instead of saying "Granny" he kept saying "Mammy". I tried correcting him but he insisted that it was " Mammy".
We all laughed at the stark contrast between my step mom and the most famous "Mammy" character played by Hattie McDaniel in Gone with the wind.
Nonetheless we decided that Micah can have his way and from now on she will be known as "Mammy".
1 comment:
Iza gotta be da palest Mammy in Merica. Reckons isa gonna have to brush up on my Al Jolsen singing twang, too
Post a Comment